The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) has issued a notice of a fictitious correspondence regarding funds purportedly under the control of the OCC, "Federal Reserve Bank," and possibly other government entities, is in circulation. The correspondence may be distributed via e-mail, fax, or postal mail.
Any document claiming the OCC is involved in holding any funds for the benefit of any individual or entity is fraudulent. The OCC does not participate in the transfer of funds for, or on behalf of, individuals, business enterprises, or governmental entities.
The correspondence may indicate funds are being held by KAF Investment Bank, Malaysia, and that the recipient will be required to pay a mandatory processing fee for a Currency Capital Control Clearance to release the funds to the beneficiary's account. The correspondence in question contains the name of a fabricated OCC employee, Bright L. Wong, and non-existent OCC mailing address. In addition, the e-mail correspondence contains telephone numbers, addresses, and e-mail addresses that are not associated with the OCC or any known authorized banking entity.
Before responding in any manner to any proposal allegedly issued by the OCC that requests personal information or personal account information or that requires the payment of any fee in connection with the proposal, recipients should take steps to verify the proposal is legitimate. If you receive such a request the OCC recommends that you do the following:
Contact the OCC directly to verify the legitimacy:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By calling the Special Supervision Division at 202-649-6450
- Faxing to 571-293-4925
- Contacting State or Local Law Enforcement
- File a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.ic3.gov if the proposal appears to be fraudulent and was received via e-mail or the internet.
- File a complaint with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at 888-877-7644 if the proposal appears to be fraudulent and was delivered through the U.S. Postal Service.